Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Marshmallow Toasted Oat Treats

One proven fact is that my son loves marshmallows. I decided to surprise him with a marshmallow treat, but of course I had to make it as healthy as possible (in spite of all the sugar). Similar to Rice Crispy treats, but I used toasted oat cereal (similar to Cheerios) and with only 1 gram of sugar per serving.

In a bowl, I mixed together:
  • 5 cups toasted oat cereal
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup hemp seeds
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Then, I melted 10.5 oz of marshmallows in 3 tablespoons of butter on the stove.

Mix the dry ingredients just before combining with the marshmallow mixture, because all of the small seeds and oatmeal fall to the bottom. Mix quickly. Press into a pan. Cool. Eat. Voila.

I must admit that I probably ate as many of these or more than my son did. The day I made them, I took him four when I picked him up at school thinking he might share with someone. He ate all four. Quickly. Wouldn't even share one with me :) The great thing is that you have so many choices of things to add: nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc.

These remind me of the energy bars I mentioned a while back. Look at the two recipes and make your own creation! The energy bars, though full of calories, offer more nutrition, but it's the same idea of making these to suit your own taste preferences.

I didn't take a picture, so I'll just need to make another batch. The 1/2 cup of chocolate chips was just enough to melt nicely and hide any hint of oatmeal or hemp seeds from little prying eyes! Here's a photo I found online that looks similar though with a bit more chocolate...



Action Item: Next time you make a dessert, see what you can add/change/omit to make it a little healthier.

For Further Reading: Try this recipe for energy bars before your next hike, run or bike ride. The October issue of Runners World also includes some great granola bar recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment