Thursday, April 3, 2014

Soaking Oat Mix

Photo is from www.twopeasandtheirpod.com
 
This is the name my husband gave his delicious mid-morning snack (blueberry/maple) of overnight oats. Our son also took one bite of his no-cook oatmeal (banana/maple) for breakfast and gave me an enthusiastic "mmm, this is good!"

So, I'd have to say these are a hit in our house, and I truly thought they'd be a big flop. A couple of people had mentioned it to me, and I thought it looked like more work than it was worth. Some times a new idea looks that way until we give it a try. With warmer temps rolling in, I decided I'd take a chance on cold, overnight oats.

The recipe I based our creations on is from 100 Days of Real Food.

Here's the recipe from that website:
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
  • ½ teaspoon honey
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons raisins (depending on how much you like raisins!)
  • ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 to 3 pinches cinnamon
Mix together all ingredients, cover, and refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hours before eating. Alternatively mix in an insulated thermos container (left unrefrigerated) and wait no more than 7 hours before eating.
 
Easy enough, right? I used the ½ cup rolled oats and 1 tablespoon plain yogurt, but then added ½ cup of vanilla almond milk. That way I didn't need to add vanilla. I used maple syrup instead of honey. For one mason jar, I added frozen blueberries. The other I mashed a banana to use. I'm sure I'll also try cinnamon, honey, chia seeds, apples and probably peanut butter! The possibilities are endless.


Action Item: Try some "soaking oats." Try them with different flavors, then when you find a combination you like, make enough for one week. Then grab and go!

For Further Reading: Probably tons of different recipes can be found, but here are several to try from The Yummy Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment