Thursday, April 10, 2014

All Those Boxes

If you eat, then you probably buy something in a box sometime. I'm hoping too that you all recycle those boxes, but before recycling the cardboard how about using it again?

We often use cereal boxes instead of paper for drawing and writing. This is especially useful while traveling; you don't need a desk or table because the cardboard is sturdy enough for writing.

Other times, we made bookmarks for Valentine's Day, gift tags for presents, and ONE time I even made a magazine holder. I'm not getting all crafty on you right now, because that's not me, BUT I do want to mention how easy it is to use the cardboard for other things before recycling it.

Each time we finish a cardboard food box, I open it and cut it into pieces - usually two big rectangles and one long narrow rectangle from the side of the box. The other parts often rip or have glue on them. And, yes, it takes time and sometimes I even cut my finger on the box (ouch!), but we have a never ending supply of art board, mailing boxes, and material for other projects.


Action Item: Earth Day is April 22. If you start saving recyclables now, you can make a super cook adult- or child-friendly project to celebrate!

For Further Reading: From easy to difficult, the Internet is full of ideas for cereal re-use ideas. Here are some to get you started: 31 Things You Can Make Out of Cereal Boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment