Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Oops!



If you read this blog regularly, you probably remember me saying "READ LABELS" many times. Well, please know that bad choices and rushed decisions affect us all. My son and I stopped by a new, locally-owned grocery store after a busy day. I just needed five or six things, but I was also hungry (which is a big no-no while shopping). I bought some mini whole-wheat bagels, because they looked good and we rarely eat bagels. I checked the label to make sure they were in fact made with whole-wheat flour, but I was in a hurry and stopped right there. I knew there were more ingredients than there should have been, but I was rationalizing and telling myself they were ok since I was a hungry shopper (with a tired yet very talkative 7-yr-old) wanting to get home and eat one!

After getting home, I was ready for my snack so popped a bagel into the toaster. As I was putting the bag away my eyes caught the word "fructose." Ugh... I checked and right there was HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (HFCS). How did I miss that? Well, because I didn't READ THE entire LABEL!

Now the dilemma. Throw them out? That's my first reaction, but I don't want to waste food. Give them to someone else? No, can't do that. It's like saying "these aren't good enough for me, but ok for you!" :) Unfortunately they'll probably sit in the kitchen until they get stale, then I'll need to find a use for chemical crumbs!

Action Item: Read. Food. Labels.

For Further Reading: My blog post about HFCS

No comments:

Post a Comment