Sunday, June 15, 2014

Summer Meals

I must admit that since hot temperatures arrived in Albuquerque, the last thing I want to do is cook. (though I still do!) I know I can make salads and sandwiches, fruit salad, but was not being very creative for thinking of meals that wouldn't heat up the kitchen or that sounded very appetizing after a long day in the sun. I did the next best thing. I turned to Google and this is what I found:


 
*100% grass fed bison. We are not vegetarians, but in the last couple of years I was probably making vegetarian meals 90% of the time for health and environmental reasons. After a while, Ron asked me to include meat 1-2 times per week. He has weighed the pros and cons, same as me, but this is his decision and what feels right for him. So I try to make very informed decisions when purchasing meat. For a while, our son wouldn't eat any meat. He would choose a veggie burger over buffalo meat. Well, he ate buffalo meat the other night (seasoned for the tacos) and you would not believe how many times he told me "this is heaven." He cracks me up! He goes back and forth depending on the day and the meal, but one day he'll sort out what feels right to him.
 
Action Item: Is it hot where you live? Pick one of these recipes to try tonight! There are enough here that you should have the ingredients to try one of them.
For Further Reading: There's enough here to keep you reading for a while. But just in case, here's some information I mentioned previously in my Eat Local post.  Eat Wild (let's you search your state for local, grass-fed meat, eggs and dairy) or try Local Harvest, another site to help you find local meat, produce and other local items. Great ways to support your local farmers, and you'll know where your food comes from!

No comments:

Post a Comment