Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mix it up!

Why didn't I think of this before? When I don't make my own yogurt - and kudos to anyone who always makes their own yogurt - I buy Wallaby Organic vanilla yogurt. It's delicious, but it's sweet. Very sweet just like most any yogurt other than plain. I had a brilliant idea the other day - I bought one container of vanilla and one of plain and mixed them together. Voila! Instantly lowered the sugar content. So am I late to the party? Do other people regularly do this? 




I've discussed low-fat vs. full-fat and asked you to read labels and make the best decision for you. Many low-fat products add numerous unnecessary ingredients. I'm very comfortable buying low-fat Wallaby vanilla yogurt because there's not lots of added crap... other than sugar that is. 


Action Item: Check the sugar content on your yogurt. Unless you enjoy plain yogurt, and hopefully you do, then your favorite is likely high in sugar. Look for lower-sugar content yogurt or mix yours with equal amounts of plain yogurt. This can be done with non-dairy yogurts as well. Besides consuming less sugar, you may just learn to love the taste of plain yogurt (or plain yogurt sweetened with fresh fruit!) I'm getting there, but still working on loving plain yogurt's tart taste.

For Further Reading: Low-fat, Lite and Nonfat and Sweet Snack

No comments:

Post a Comment