Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Beyond-Super Food

Can you guess? Is it a leafy green? Is it a new super chia seed? Nope, I'm talking about crickets! I haven't lost my mind, I haven't eaten any variation of cricket (yet), but an article in Outside magazine caught our attention. Ron actually introduced me to the article.

Here's an excerpt, "Indeed, insect meal stacks up against other superfoods. It has more protein that a wild caught salmon, with a complete set of amino acids. Cricket flesh has more iron than beef, more calcium than milk, and plenty of B vitamins absent from vegetable-based protein sources like hemp and soy. But the real advantage? Surprisingly, the taste. Bug flour is relatively easy to disguise compared with whey and soy powders, so the bars made from it don't need to contain as much sugar."

As you well know, people around the world regularly eat insects. In our culture, bugs are basically  "gross" unless you're a seven-year-old boy who loves gathering, watching and protecting them. Articles like this one cause us to stop and think about why we feel a certain way about things. Is an insect truly gross to eat or is that just what we've been taught to think? I'm not advocating bug eating. That's completely up to you, your adventurous spirit and the particular diet you follow. Insect eating would be a definite yes for the paleo diet, probably a no for vegetarians, and a big no thank you for vegans is my guess, and everyone else probably falls along the spectrum of "sure, give me a bite" to "no way!"

Exo Bar ingredients

The article in Outside magazine focuses mainly on cricket meal or flour and the companies making products with this superfood flour (links are below).

Let me know what you think! Have you eaten cricket meal, a fried insect or a live one for that matter? Would you?


Action Item: Be on the lookout for energy bars or foods that contain cricket meal. You might give it a try! I know I'm curious.

For Further Reading: Check out this National Geographic article, UN Urges Eating Bugs:  8 Popular Bugs to Try, Exo website, Chapul cricket energy bar website, and Bitty Foods (made with cricket meal).

No comments:

Post a Comment