Monday, March 3, 2014

Pizza

If you make the Vegetarian Korma and have tomato sauce left over, you might have just enough to make sauce for homemade pizza! Add some oregano, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper and... voila!

I find it difficult to believe that I haven't posted about homemade pizza before. At one time, I made it often. Sometimes I made my own crust, most other times I buy a whole-wheat crust. Our son went through a long period where he said he didn't like tomato sauce (spaghetti, lasagna, pizza.) We have introduced him to enough different pizzas that he eats it again!

The great news is that you can add whatever toppings you like. We chose, because these are items from our CSA this week, we ate: onion, spinach, yellow bell pepper and zucchini.
Some of our other favorite toppings include:
mushrooms
bell peppers
tomatoes
artichoke
boiled egg
ham
or whatever leftover veggies we have (even spinach or cauliflower, though not my husbands favorite!)

 I always shred my own cheese. It takes a little longer, but in my opinion it's a little healthier because shredded cheese often has extra ingredients to keep it fresh. Not to mention, it's less expensive in a block because you're not paying for the shredding. 
 

 
Action Item: Instead of going out for pizza, make your own! It can be a family affair; everyone can help with chopping or adding favorite toppings to the pizzas.
 
For Further Reading: Find recipes to make your own pizza crust, here's one I just found but have never tried for No-Rise Pizza Crust and you guessed it, my whole-wheat pizza crust recipe is on allrecipes.com. You can probably find a favorite there as well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment